April 10, 2008

Library search bar

Frazier mentioned something about this to me several weeks ago, but I finally found and installed the U of M library search bar into my Firefox browser. At first glance, it looks like a great project. The search bar is unobtrusive and allows you to search the library catalog without going to the library homepage. You can search by keyword, title, subject, author, or ISBN/ISSN. For my own purposes, I'd like to see a call number search, too, but that doesn't exist at this point.

The LibX extension works with both Internet Explorer and Firefox, and there have also been versions created by a number of other libraries as well - so if you're not at the U, you might be able to find this extension at your own library.

Go to http://www.lib.umn.edu/site/libx.phtml to install the University of Minnesota version.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

speaking of things to load in firefox, have you tried zotero? I've been using it and it is pretty slick.

Nathan Crowe said...

I can't speak for everyone else, but I use Zotero fairly regularly. I've been using it for about 6 months now, and I've found that it's great for some research, but not others. For me, Zotero works great for secondary sources, and primary sources found in Worldcat. When working with archive material, however, it's clunky and really doesn't organize letters, notes, and other primary documents too well. What's your experience?

Oh, and by the way, who is this? We don't bite!

Denton Energy Audit said...

Great bblog you have here